Thursday, March 26, 2015

Thoughts on aThursday


I have been bitten by the spring cleaning bug. Usually I am a fall purger, but this year it just came on and so I ran with it. As I was going through the cupboards, drawers, closets, and shelves I ran across a few items that I had all but forgotten about. One was the set of china I got from my grandmother about 10 years ago. We have used it a handful of times. It's a shame too, because the stuff is just lovely. Hubby and I once looked up the pattern to see if we could replace a few pieces... we couldn't afford it! What we have right now is worth a pretty penny, so what do we do with it? Sell it or use it, because boxing it up is just a waste. We also ran across a set of silver flatware my Mother in Law gave us about 10 years ago. It was a set used by a door to door sales man, so it is a full set with serving spoons and meat forks and all the goodies. It was another thing of beauty that we had boxed up to "save" for some special day.
The thing is, is when is that special day? When do we feel like the day is worthy enough for this loveliness? Because this stuff has been boxed up a lot over the last decade and we just keep not using it. But we have so many special days. So after much talk of selling we decided that we are just going to use the beautiful stuff. So we polished the silver and donated our regular flatware, I hand washed the china and placed it in the cupboard to be used every Sunday.
What is the point of having beautiful stuff if you are always afraid to use it?

2 comments:

Tracey ~ Clover said...

I totally agree Heather, use it and enjoy it. The china is a lovely pattern and setting a pretty table each week with heirloom pieces for your family is such a great way to let them know just how special they are.
We are on spring break next week and I can't wait to start purging again.

sustainablemum said...

I am going to join you for spring cleaning, that is what I plan to do this weekend! I agree that the special day never comes if you hide things away.